Privacy and Security Policy
Thank you for using Solomon. We aim to make local intelligence personal and easy and to provide you with tools to manage and extract value from your data.
It’s very important to us that your data is secure and your privacy is protected at all times. Your data is just that, yours, and it is our responsibility to guard it closely. We are committed to following and evolving best practices to support this goal. We do not sell any of your information. We want to be open and transparent about what we collect and use and this policy aims to answer all your questions. If there is something missing, please contact us directly and we will provide the information you need: email@example.com.
Last Updated: 15 November 2016
How We Collect and Use Your Information
When you create an account, we collect certain “personally identifiable information” or “PII.” If another party, such as a Business Improvement District, creates your account they will also collect “PII”. This may include your name and email address. This information is stored on our servers and shared, securely, with a third party service (https://auth0.com/), who store your details in order to authenticate you as a user each time you login.
Information collected using cookies
We collect certain information through the use of “cookies,” which are small text files saved by your browser when you access websites. You must enable session cookies to login to Solomon, as with many other sites. We may use long-term cookies to monitor aggregate usage and web traffic routing and to customize and improve Solomon. We may use third-party service providers for the purpose of support, outbound communication, and marketing, and these third-party service providers may place their own cookies on your browser.
Information related to use of Solomon
Solomon automatically records information including IP addresses, browser types, operating systems, pages or features of Solomon used and time spent on each, search terms and other statistics. This information is used to analyse how people use Solomon, and is analysed in aggregate for the purpose of customising and improving user experience.
In some cases we may convert your IP address into a rough geolocation to improve and personalise Solomon (for example, to display time data in the correct local time). Some features of Solomon may request a more accurate location from your browser e.g. to find public transport near you. Most modern browsers will ask you to allow or deny this permission and the have the ability to revoke it via your browser at any time.
Information we share with third parties
We’ll only share your PII in the following cases:
- With companies that are contractually engaged in providing us with services, such as data storage, authentication, hosting and credit card processing. These companies are obligated by contract to safeguard any PII they receive from us.
- We need to disclose it as part of a business transaction. Information collected from our users, including PII, could be disclosed or transferred to a third-party acquirer as a result of a transaction such as a merger, acquisition, or asset sale. We will notify you if a different company will receive your PII.
- The need to protect ourselves or others, or for other legal reasons. We strongly believe in contesting claims that we believe to be invalid under applicable law, and in protecting you from privacy violations we consider to be abuse of legal systems, whether by individuals, entities or government. However, we reserve the right to disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties if we believe it is reasonably necessary to satisfy or comply with a law, regulation, valid legal process, or to protect the rights, property and safety of us or others, and to prevent or stop activity we consider to be illegal or unethical.
- You expressly ask us to do so.
- We may share aggregated non-PII with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other similar purposes.
Modifying Your Information
To delete your PII and cancel your account, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will delete your information as soon as is practical, but some information may remain in archived or backup copies for our records or otherwise required by law.
All data you enter into Solomon remains yours, and we are committed to ensuring that your data is not seen by anyone who should not see it. Solomon's data is encrypted both when it is sent to and from our servers. To protect your content in transit, Solomon uses SSL encryption.
If you’re located outside the United Kingdom and choose to provide your PII to us, we may transfer this information to computers located outside of the country. In doing so, we will comply with the Data Protection Act.
Our Policy Towards Children
Solomon is not directed to children under 13 and we do not knowingly collect PII from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected PII of a child under 13, we will take steps to delete such information from our files as soon as is practicable.